The chair of each standing committee shall preside over all committee meetings, including setting the agenda, providing notice to all members, reporting on business to the Steering Committee, ensuring that appropriate records are kept, supervise and coordinate the work of members, and otherwise supervise and participate in committee business. The role of the chair within their committee is to ensure smooth operations; as such, their role is administrative and carries no additional weight or voting power. The role of the chair within the Steering Committee is as an elected chair, with the weight of their committee. Each chair shall present its annual report and campaign of action to the Steering Committee and at each general meeting. The committees are as follows:
Section 4: Communication Committee
The Communication Committee shall consist of one or more members, including the elected chair and the Secretary, with the intent to maintain and foster good communication with the bargaining unit, the public, the media, and other relevant entities. The Communication Committee shall:
- Maintain a database with contact information, demographic data, and other data that supports organizing and membership mobilization.
- Develop media campaigns around issues of importance, with the Organizing Committee;
- Develop media campaigns during contract negotiations, with the Organizing Committee;
- Educate unit members about labor issues in higher education as well as general labor issues;
- Maintain contact with our unit as well as other graduate worker organizations;
- Maintain a robust social media presence; and
- Work to ensure a smooth transition of duties and knowledge to new members and chairs.