Article V. Duties of Standing Committees
The chair of each standing committee shall preside over all committee meetings, including setting the agenda, providing notice to all members, reporting on business to the Steering Committee, ensuring that appropriate records are kept, supervise and coordinate the work of members, and otherwise supervise and participate in committee business. The role of the chair within their committee is to ensure smooth operations; as such, their role is administrative and carries no additional weight or voting power. The role of the chair within the Steering Committee is as an elected chair, with the weight of their committee. Each chair shall present its annual report and campaign of action to the Steering Committee and at each general meeting.
Section 5. Steering Committee
The Steering Committee is comprised of all officers and chairs of standing committees. This committee must also meet at the call of the President or any standing committee chair for timely business. A quorum for the Steering Committee shall be fifty percent (50%) of its members. The Steering Committee shall:
- Meet once monthly during the academic year to conduct the business of the organization;
- Determine the agenda for all membership meetings;
- Post the agenda on the website and social media at least two (2) days before each general meeting;
- Notify unit members at least two (2) days before each general meeting, via electronic means;
- Be empowered to make contracts and incur liabilities including the purchase of services, equipment and real property, to borrow money, to secure such obligations by mortgage or other instrument, to hire and fire, to establish the salary, benefits, and expense guidelines of any person employed by the organization, and to otherwise engage in financial transactions to the extent permitted by applicable law or statute;
- Be empowered to sue and complain on behalf of and to defend the membership;
- Approve or reject the Presidential appointees;
- Create additional ad hoc committees as needed for a specific purpose with a written time limit, whose chairs are not members of the Steering Committee;
- Receive regular reports from all committees during the academic year; and
- Enforce adherence to all bylaws.